Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gate-crashing into the "What's in a Name" party

Well..this is a first. I am gatecrashing :-)

I missed seeing the invite from Shelley Graham of Tori Sophia Designs to sign up for the "What's in a name" blog hop. Its quite simple, she just wanted to know more about all of us friends of hers, so we were to write down how and why we named our blog/business.

Not only am I going to gatecrash, I am also going to cheat! I have already written a post about how I started making jewelry. In fact that was the first post on this blog.

So here's the link: How Sadafulee happened! Do go on and take a look. It has pictures of my very first designs. I just revisited the post, and am quite impressed with those first creations!

Now getting to the point of this hop: the name. I have not explained THAT in the old post :-)

So here's that story:

Once I decided I wanted to register my jewelry business, I needed a name. I asked my husband. He came up with names like "Rathore Jewelers", "Patel and Sons (or Daughters or Sisters)", "Kashmira Jhaveri".
I know, you guys are all confused. Well, these are traditional names of jewelers in India. Back home, occupations such as this are carried over for generations, and you will find stores, chains even, owned entirely by a single family for over a hundred years. Yup, he was all out to pull my leg :-)

I said, nope, I don't want my name in there, there are no sons or daughters happening here, and sisters are probably not interested. So lets leave all that out, ok?

Out of the blue, he said "Sadaphallee". Now, I smiled, and said I like it, but lets make it Sadafulee. Do you know what it means? Turns out, he had no clue :) He was still on his merry trip...trying to trip me up.
Yup, I had my name! He was still confused about why. (Even now, he wonders why I like it so much!)

Sadafulee is the Marathi name for Periwinkle. My husband does not know that language at all :-)

Lets break it down...
Sada = always
Fuli = bloom

I had always loved this flower. Loved it for its simplicity, loved it for how happy it looked! (I think daisies look very happy too, and roses look pretentious, haha).
I told a friend of mine about the name. She is a landscape architect, and this is what she said about it:
SADAFULI, vinca rosea or Periwinkle is a happy-go-lucky small shrub. It cares not for the world. It rejoices in sun or rain, or the seaside, in good or indifferent soil and often grows wild.

I absolutely loved it! It very accurately describes how I feel when I am creating...happy-go-lucky, rejoicing, and often wild! And the name also ties in very well with the main purpose of starting my business: to help the children of Project WHY!.

With proceeds from my store, I hope to help the children bloom, just like the Sadafulee!



3 comments:

  1. Posting on behalf of Antiquity Travelers:

    What a beautiful name, and meaning. I visited the Project Why blog, and would love to hear more about getting involved. Perhaps we could do a blog hop to raise awareness?

    My blog image is a Shiva I bought in Mussoorie while traveling through India with my husband and mother-in-law. She grew up in India, and my earlier posts talk about some of our travels there including where I got my Shiva. I have more to write as I've only been blogging for a few months now.

    As for the tutorials ... I post what I can on my Pinterest, and I have a few saved to my hard drive (no problem to share with you if you like). but the one you are asking about with wood beads was actually free-form. I was going to pull it apart as it was only a practice piece, but if you want it ... its all yours. Just send me an email and I'll happily give it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the story! Loved it! Periwinkle is my absolute fab shade...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kashmira, I had been by earlier, must have been viewing it on my phone. I love that you crashed my party..now fix the door! hahaha No seriously, the definition (periwinkle) does really fit you.. Always in bloom and getting more beautiful every day!

    ReplyDelete